- The BCC’s Provincial/Territorial Committee met by telephone conference call (with
Health Canada funding) in February, June, September and November 2004.
- Marianne Brophy, Chair, BFI Assessment Committee, represented the BCC at a meeting
of international BFI Coordinators held in Barcelona, Spain March 31 – April 3, 2004.
- The project Breastfeeding, Healthy Eating and Active Living: Natural Tools for Diabetes
Prevention funded by the National Diabetes Strategy, Health Canada, ended March
31, 2004. A project extension for the women’s programme in Miramichi, NB was approved
for the period June 2004 to March 31, 2005.
- A series of BCC meetings were held in Toronto April 1-4, 2004, in conjunction with
the Annual General Meeting, including two-day meetings of the Provincial/Territorial,
Education and Infant Nutrition Committees and the BCC Board of Directors.
- In April the BCC Board approved the BCC’s Breastfeeding Definitions and Data Collection
Timeframes document, developed over the last year by the BCC’s Provincial/Territorial
- Canada’s third Baby-Friendly ™ Hospital—le centre hospitalier Saint-Eustache, QC—was
designated on May 27, 2004.
- The project to Implement and Evaluate the Baby-Friendly™ Initiative in Community
Health Services funded by Population Health, Health Canada, ended June 30, 2004.
- Canada’s first Baby-Friendly ™ Community Health Service – CLSC d’Argenteuil, Lachute
QC—was designated on November 17, 2004.
- Canada’s first BFHI-designated hospital – Brome-Missisquoi-Perkins Hospital, Cowansville
QC – was successfully reassessed and had its designated confirmed on November 12,